Thursday, April 12, 2018

Meet the Librarian : Ashli Wells

Our final Meet the Librarian post is about Ashli Wells, who is responsible for all things budget-related (I don't envy that job at all!), ordering and cataloging items, and interlibrary loan.

Here are a few questions for Ashli :

If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
I would be really boring and responsible and pay off my school loans and my car.  Then, I would probably do something fun like a vacation to Greece.




If you could be any fictional character (from a TV show, movie, or book), who would you choose?
At first when I read this my immediate answer was Wonder Woman, but I think I would rather meet her than be her.  If I could be any fictional character I would want to be Veronica Mars (from the show Veronica Mars).  She had some really close friends, she was super sassy, she always spoke up when she felt like she needed to, and she got to take her dog around with her while she solved mysteries.



What grown-up job did you want to have when you were a child?

I always wanted to be a veterinarian.  I grew up showing dogs and thought I always wanted to do something with animals.  However, that quickly changed in college when I volunteered at an emergency vet clinic.  That made me decide that I could love dogs and animals as pets from afar, and help them in some other way.  So, now I just love on my rescue pugs, Scooter and Happy!





What do you have an irrational fear of?
I don't know if it's necessarily a fear, but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate for my neck to be touched.  I don't know why, but turtlenecks are definitely out and don't even think about tickling me on my neck.



What word do you have trouble saying?
Long story (that involves me being really overworked and tired), but rotator (Hey! It was just one time Amber, so you can stop laughing!)



What was the last book you read?
I haven't been reading as much this year due to school, but I did get to read a book over the weekend.  It was Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch.  It is about a girl that goes on a road trip with her brother (who she can't stand at the moment) and one of his friends.  It was a really good YA story and helped me decompress after a big test I had this weekend.  It comes out later this year and (shameless library plug) you should check out our copy from the library when it releases in July!!!





What book can you read over and over again?
This is a seriously unfair question.  I can't pick just one, but I will do my best to try!  Persuasion by Jane Austen is a book that I will always be happy to reread (with Pride and Prejudice right behind it!).  Anything by Mariana Zapata I can always reread (and have).  The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani is one of my favorite books ever.  Harry Potter (of course!).  I also love, love, love anything by Beatriz Williams (she always hits me in the feels!).  Books by Jennifer E. Smith are some of my favorites to reread too.  I love to reread certain passages from certain books, too (but that would make this way too long!). 


 
   

What is the thing you like best about your work?

I really enjoy the round-about way I get to help people.  I really do a lot of things behind the scenes (budgeting, ordering, interlibrary loan, etc.) and I really love those aspects of my job.  I love being able to get creative and find new ways to improve the services that we provide to the Cumberland University community.  Those services (and their improvements) end up helping our students, faculty, and staff.  A lot of times I get to bounce ideas around with my co-workers and that is always fun too!




What do you do when you cannot sleep?

I usually go lay on the couch and watch 1 of 2 movies: Lord of the Rings : the Fellowship of the Ring or Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.  These have been on my DVR for 3+ years and I have unfortunately (probably) started these movies thousands of times (no lie, I probably know the order of the commercials at this point).  Since I have seen them so much, I don't feel like I need to stay up to follow along and it usually helps me fall asleep!  I am usually back asleep by the time Frodo reaches Rivendale or by the time Harry is back at Hogwarts.



What are you always late for?
Nothing...I am annoyingly punctual (just ask my co-workers) and usually arrive to anything ridiculously early.




What are you grateful for today?

THAT MY COMPS ARE OVER FOR THE MSP PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Editor's note - Ashli found out on that she passed them! Congratulations!!!!!)





What are the perks of your job? 
Having access to books and movies before anyone else does!  I also have pretty great co-workers that are fun to be around too!


No comments:

Post a Comment